D. Gray-man RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
D. Gray-man RPG

Enter the world of D. Gray-man and take part in exciting adventures!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reviving Jans' training topic's overpower

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Haru

Haru

Number of posts : 435
Location : Tyki - Awakened Noah [0/1000] | Shirou - Exorcist [0/100]
Warning :
Reviving Jans' training topic's overpower Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Reviving Jans' training topic's overpower Right_bar_bleue

Level (Character 1) :
Reviving Jans' training topic's overpower Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Reviving Jans' training topic's overpower Right_bar_bleue

Level (Character 2) :

Level (Character 3) :

Registration date : 2008-07-29

Reviving Jans' training topic's overpower Empty
PostSubject: Reviving Jans' training topic's overpower   Reviving Jans' training topic's overpower EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 8:04 am

Lately I've recieved a rant message about Jansonlyw's, our beloved moderator's, training topic. I've censored out all of the traces so that [censor] may not be flamed by Jans. Also, any dicussion surrounding the creator of the message is strictly forbidden!

Quote :
I've noticed that the power ranking system isn't really valid.

For
example, there was a case where the moderator called "jansonlyw",
I'm not going to bother hiding it, made a training post using a Level 1
Innocence to decimate multiple Level 2s and a Level 3. AND HE WAS
ALLOWED TO DO IT!

Normally, I wouldn't be so annoyed at this
fact, but I couldn't stand it, sorry. [censor]. I'm also sorry for criticizing
members that have been here longer than I have, but I HAVE been a part
of multiple RP boards in the past, including admin and/or mod of four,
and I'd like to think I know godmodding and powergaming when I see it.

The
problem I saw was this: technically, after the fight, his character
came away with...what? A life threatening injury? Something to show
that he'd gotten into a fight with Akuma of a level that only Advanced
Exorcists and above and barely survived?

Nah, that wouldn't work. Why? Because he needed to demonstrate how "powerful" his character was! Surely, this makes sense!

Defy
all the rules about Exorcists strengths. Ignore the fact that a
SINGLE PERSON with Level 1 Innocence are NOT supposed to
come out of a fight with a Level 3 ALIVE, let alone badly
wounded. Ignore the fact that even multiple Level 2s are a problem to
begin with, let alone a SWARM of them. Not to mention that
DESTROYING THEM ALL within the space of a mere FEW
MOMENTS
is akin to wiping out a group of Level 1s
INSTANTANEOUSLY. Well, for the sake of "OH LOOK I'M A JESUS
OF LEVEL ONES
" syndrome, this is absolutely justifiable.

I mean he came out of the WHOLE BATTLE with...what? A minor muscle twitch?

I
don't mind a Level 1 Innocence defeating a Level 3, don't get me wrong.
But there has to be some reason than "OH LOOK AT MY HAXZORS L33T
SKILLZ.
" I mean, Lenalee fought a Level 3 with a Level 2 Innocence,
if memory serves me correctly. She BARELY survived and LOST
HER INNOCENCE.

-----------------------------------

And I believe the responses to mod attempts to show him that this was just "SLIGHTLY" overpowered were the following:

Quote :
cheesh....
why do you think i take my own sweet time to post one training post?
thats cuz i know hes powerful so i'll let him level slowly and i didn't
kill the akuma, i never said that Xenaz destroyed it. he just ripped
out an arm and head. its up to you people to assume that i eradicated
it completely.

I hate assumers.

I don't mean to
be rude, but things tend to have trouble living with their head's
removed. Just an observation. It's like saying "oh, I just punched a
MASSIVE HOLE in this guys body, but I didn't say he died, did I?
It's perfectly reasonable for him to live while missing a few of his
MAJOR ORGANS.

And in my experience, the point of a Rank
system is to PREVENT this kind of "well my character's powerful enough
to SUPER OMGBBQWTF EXPLODY THE WORLD, but don't worry; I'll be sure to
keep him under control." It opens up the possibility for other
characters to do the same.

Quote :
there i've weakened the
attacks and injured Xenaz. If you people are still not happy with this
then it defeats the purpose of me having Xenaz as my main and strongest
character. He is meant to be fast, and strong for his level, and his
downsides are his split personality, his dark past, and his want for
vengeance to avenge his parents.
if you people still say that hes
too strong then i might as well say he got wiped out by an empty
skeleton akuma without a soul yet when he is using critical point
breaker.

(I'm really pissed now due to school matters and you
people making it worse. [inclusive of tyki trying to argue with
me])

First off, you never bring outside matters onto the
Internet. They really don't matter. Especially when they have NOTHING
TO DO with the situation at hand. That being said, there are a couple
of flaws with this. The whole thing about "strong for his level" would
be fine. Maybe if he was wiping out a Level 2 by himself with some
difficulty. He got injured...what? Oh look, a "minor muscle sprain?"
That's like saying "I defeated a Level 4, and all I got was these lousy
cuts on my arms."

He's not strong for his level, he's stronger than people TWO, even THREE ranks above him!

Having
a character as a main character is FINE. However, this usually entails
the player putting more WORK into said character to make them
rank-up and BECOME stronger than the rest, not putting more work
into ARGUING about how they should be stronger than the other
characters other players have spent time AND effort into
powering up

Besides, those aren't DOWNSIDES. The only one that
could even BE a downside is the split personality; that being said,
split personality does not decrease your power, it just changes how its
used. And that could be invoked any time. If I had a person who had the
mindset of a child and could CONVENIENTLY become a SEASONED
ASSASSIN
when battle just happened to be joined, I doubt it would
fly.

As for the wise-ass comment about Critical Point Breakers,
that's just uncalled for. No, that's not true, because once your a
Critical Point Breaker, people will know that you've worked hard enough
and gained the necessary power to utterly demolish anything lower than
a Level 2 without so much as breaking a sweat.

Quote :
if my characters werent allowed, would i have even posted this topic in the first place?
use your brains, god gave it to you to use it, not to return it back to him fresh.
and when lenalee put the admin voting thing, i voted for untainted.

And
if any of you even try to reduce my points because you all are trying
to target a person to bully, I'll let you all know first. I'm not
easily bullied. try it in real life no matter what your age and gender,
I'll whack you (part of body whacked depends on what you tried to do to
me).
and i personally feel that my post is worth 20~40 points Try
giving me a 20 and you'll also get it. I'll godmode every of my posts
and scare away visitors if you try anything funny

First
off, that's complete BS. Just because your character is approved
doesn't give you the right to suddenly play god and up him by, oh, a
few measly ranks here and there.

Oh, and threatening AND
insulting mods because you're too BLIND to see your own
INCOMPETENCE even if it danced in front of you wearing nothing
but a T-Shirt? Oh, that's REAL GREAT. Besides, what your
personally feel doesn't really matter in this case, because that's what
mods are FOR. To ensure that everyone is treated fairly. I say
let him godmode and banhammer. >_>

-----------------------------------

None of the stuff after that is even worth it to comment on, because it's all just arguing.

However, there is one post made by the same person that I'd like to comment on.

Quote :
i
know i went overboard so i toned the thing down a little. but yesterday
i had a bad day so i was a little pissed, and everything happened,
anyway, tyki and i made up, we're friends again!

Just...wtf? We made up, and therefore it's okay for my character to remain UBER-GODLY?

Sorry...I'll stop now.

-----

Anyways,
I'm sorry that I rambled on about all this. It's just that I hate to
see good RP sites (God knows there's only a few of them out there these
days) stained by this kind of thing.
Back to top Go down
jansonlyw

jansonlyw

Number of posts : 333
Location : I'm surrounded by annoying people (though there are some nice ones too.).
Warning :

Level (Character 1) :
Reviving Jans' training topic's overpower Left_bar_bleue23 / 10023 / 100Reviving Jans' training topic's overpower Right_bar_bleue

Level (Character 2) :

Level (Character 3) :

Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Reviving Jans' training topic's overpower   Reviving Jans' training topic's overpower EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 8:25 am

seriously, dont be a noob whoever the person was. go find me and complaint all you want, dont disturb my friend haru.
If you aren't happy, create a new topic, post it big big, defame me, and cause more troubles for the others that have completely nothing to do with it. I dont mind, and i dont care. I'll debate with you for weeks if i have to get my point straight. anything you're not happy with, just reply to me, and i'll answer them. If i cant answer, ill delete the entire topic and request for all my points to be removed.

I'll be waiting. Unless you're afraid of a 'person abusing his status as a moderator'.
Lol, im quite bored nowadays.................
Back to top Go down
http://pitifulakumas.blogspot.com
Tag

Tag

Number of posts : 184
Warning :

Level (Character 1) :

Level (Character 2) :

Level (Character 3) :

Registration date : 2008-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Reviving Jans' training topic's overpower   Reviving Jans' training topic's overpower EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 1:37 pm

I lol'd... but is there actually a valid reason to post this?
Back to top Go down
Haru

Haru

Number of posts : 435
Location : Tyki - Awakened Noah [0/1000] | Shirou - Exorcist [0/100]
Warning :

Level (Character 1) :

Level (Character 2) :

Level (Character 3) :

Registration date : 2008-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Reviving Jans' training topic's overpower   Reviving Jans' training topic's overpower EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 1:48 pm

I felt it was needed because someone is ranting about someone and I'd like this issue to be solved. Which was done when I invited them in a MSN conversation.
Back to top Go down
Untainted666

Untainted666

Number of posts : 343
Warning :

Level (Character 1) :
Reviving Jans' training topic's overpower Left_bar_bleue80 / 10080 / 100Reviving Jans' training topic's overpower Right_bar_bleue

Level (Character 2) :

Level (Character 3) :

Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Reviving Jans' training topic's overpower   Reviving Jans' training topic's overpower EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 2:15 pm

Point valid. Therefore I would like EVERYONE to follow the following pre-set rules...

*that applys to haru-tyki and janson too*

Quote :
Gaws Laws of Role-Playing

This is something that must be remembered and upheld through all RPG's as the key to surviving to become a classic like the GameFAQs RPG. NO CHEEZ WIZZING. (Named after the king of overpowered.) Cheez Whizzing is making your character an immortal God who can blow anything away in one hit and have absolutely no limitations. That is Cheese Whizzing. There are 2 classifications, really. Overpowering, and Cheese Whizzing. Avoid Cheese Whizzing at all costs, and try to do the same with overpowering. I've noticed some people in magic schools that are creating a little bit of ice at first, but are creating a glacier in a few hours. Overpowering is making your character stronger than all the others, but not 80,000 times stronger than the other characters like Cheese Wizz. That is law number one!

The biggest RPG killer, in my opinion, is people who don't know the difference between what the poster knows, and what the character knows. Just because someone posts something doesn't always mean your character learns it. The poster learns it, but not the character. Such as, if someone on the other side of the world were destroying a village, how would your character know? He wouldn't. I mean, you never hear this in an RPG.
Main Character: ''I know who the big bad guy is, what he looks like, and what he's planning, because I watched the intro!''
No, the main character has no clue what's going to happen, doesn't know that their is a big bad guy, and much less knows what he looks like, until the main character sees him. But then he doesn't necessarily know what he's planning.
A lesser form of this, and a less noticeable one, is irregular behavior. Like making a character go adventuring in an old castle in the middle of nowhere, because it was revealed in an earlier post that it's the hideout of some evil person. (Revealed to the poster, not the character, mind you.)

The smallest form of this is coincidence. Coincidence is having your character do something else because of a post, but it not being irregular to what the character would do. A coincidence would be, the person is wandering in a field, and then a post reveals a battle going on somewhere in a field. (Once again, to the poster.) You could have the character coincidentally end up heading towards the battle and seeing it. That is a small coincidence, to me. Not irregular at all, just a chance encounters. A bigger coincidence would be, a person is sneaking through a castle, then a conversation in the castle is revealed by someone else, which has some very big plot revealers. But the character just happened to be in front of the door to the place where the conversation was going, and heard it perfectly. That is a very large coincidence.

Of all of these, I can take a few large coincidences, (Not very large, but large) And a lot of small coincidences. But I've seen too many times now the ''Poster knows, so character knows'' incidents. Please tell me if you agree, disagree, or agree with some of it. My ears are wide open for your comments on my beliefs.

Always seek to improve your RPG playing abilities. This doesn't mean get yourself some cool new fire spell. This means improving the quality of your posts. This can be aided by trying to make the post easier to understand, punctuate and capitalize properly, and develop your own style of organizing your posts. I try to make my RPG post style defined, but it seems to go under a few small changes every once and a while.

Your character doesn't always have to be special and different from everything else. Though that can be very interesting, if you are careful on how your character is different. Mine, for example, is just a Gaw. An unusually strong Gaw, but just a Gaw. That doesn't keep me from doing good posts, though, does it?

Role-play! It makes your posts more interesting to read. I mean, in an RPG in medieval times, you wouldn't have a person who talks like this. ''Yo, wassup dude!'' Also, you wouldn't be able to get rocket launchers and such in medieval times. That's something that should go under realism, though. Well, also try to give your character a personality. A flat, boring personality isn't good. Also, try to have the way your character acts affected by his past. That can be a very good thing.

When you want to join an RPG or battle with a story, just don't jump in without a clue of what's happening. There are normally 2 good ways to get in.
1: Read all the posts to get familiar with the story.
2: Ask someone who's been in since the beginning or someone who knows what's going on for a summary of the story. Knowing the story will make your posts much better.

Always know the description of your enemy. If you do not know, ask someone who does, preferably the maker of the enemy. Let's take Doura for example. If you didn't know his description, you might say ‘‘does a horizontal slash to the chest!'' But, Doura was over 10 feet tall. A horizontal slash from a human that's a little over five feet tall would not hit its chest. Also, you might be fighting a very mutated enemy. Let's say it was a sandworm. Sandworms have no arms or legs, just a long body and its head. So, you could not do a ''Quick jab to the arm!''

When starting an RPG, make sure you add rules. But not too many. GameFAQs RPG required the posts to be very understandable and nice to look at, with the scene thing on top and the italic post. The GameFAQs RPG has defined my typing style for RPG's, actually. I adopted the <>s containing action, such as And I adopted a very understandable way of talking.
Example.
Gaw: ''What now, John?''
John: ''I'm not sure what we should do.''
Greg: ‘‘why don't we try and find out who that person was?'' Gaw: ‘‘that's a good idea. Let's go.''

Bah, but now I'm getting off subject a little. That should have gone under rule number 3. Well, one thing is this. NEVER limit the player's abilities to be creative. in Anwnn's RPG, he would not allow the other people to describe enemies. Bad move. That RPG is very dead now. Also, try and make the RPG become deeper. Also, remember that sometimes luck is what the RPG's fate is decided by. GameFAQs RPG survived long enough to become interesting.

Do NOT talk for other people, or do actions for them, or describe how they feel for them. There are VERY few people who don't mind beings talked for and even less people who like their actions or how they feel described for them. I hate each one. No one else can make Gaw speak the exact way I want him to, or the exact way I want him to act or say the exact way he would feel under certain circumstances. This doesn't just apply to a person's main character; it can apply to other characters a person has made.

When fighting an enemy, don't have the enemy do something inconsistent with its character traits. (I.e., the aforementioned sandworm casting a spell, or trash talking.) Conversely, Try to stay within your own character's personality traits as well. If you're character's not a friendly person, don't all of a sudden throw a party for all of the people that they don't like, and start serving food. (Granted, this is perfectly acceptable if you're trying to poison the characters...)

Before posting, make sure you know what type of RPG it is. If it's a serious RPG, then don't make a post that would make the RPG very unrealistic and odd. Now, if it was an insane RPG, then you could probably do a lot of things without angering other posters. Such as, you wouldn't be able to smash through a brick wall in a serious and realistic RPG, but in an unrealistic and silly RPG you could.

Here is one specific way NOT to introduce your character and a related subject as well! I doubt anyone likes the ominous ultra-powerful guy who magically appears and grants everyone strength/healing/etc. One of the most important things in RPG's to remember is that you are NOT the main character. I say this meaning that you are NOT supposed to be the strongest person. No one is. All of the characters should have equal powers, but in their own ways. I, for example, have a lot of weak magic. But, because of how diverse they are, the effects of combining the spells can make up for it. Also, I am a little bit weaker than most others in hand to hand combat, but several advantages such as flying, swimming, and a very powerful (But limited) fire breath. My character has weak points, but if I use all his abilities, he's as strong as any other person is. Isn't that much more fun to play as than Mr. ominous magically appearing guy who is stronger than everyone in every single way? I think so.

Here's something I strongly suggest you NOT do. Kills people for basically no reason. (Remember, I said NO reason, so an evil person who benefits from their death somehow wouldn't break this rule, and accidentally killing innocent people in the confusion of combat also wouldn't break this, etc.) How many times on the street do you hear this?
Character: ''Hello.''
NPC: ''Leave me alone, I've had a rough day.''
Character: ''DIE!''

And also...janson, no more bad training posts like that ok? Take my old suggestion, introduce Xenaz's past
training life as an Exorcist and show how he worked up to attain power all the way from noobiness. Alrite?

Anoymous person, no deflaming allowed. Dont really do it.

If you want other examples of training posts, there are Cole's and mine's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reviving Jans' training topic's overpower   Reviving Jans' training topic's overpower Empty

Back to top Go down

Reviving Jans' training topic's overpower
Page 1 of 1